Saturday, January 17, 2009

God in the ER

New famous quote I just made up: "I am probably one of the weakest, most emotionally fragile people you've ever met. I also have a strength that would amaze you." Feel free to quote me (just not to my face on a weak day .... :)

Fact: If you ever don't know how to 'take' me ... just say "Oh, she must be trying to be funny".

Today: I laughed. That's huge. I also sang worship songs at my piano. Again ... a huge step forward.

Thank you: Suzanne for taking me to the ER when I-71 was closed because of black ice. The Kuehn's for taking Andrew sledding. Sharon for daring to cook for us. (we have weird allergies).

Disclaimer: In what I share here ... I am simply NOT trying to convert you. I am NOT trying to preach. I have NEVER convinced anybody to follow Christ by talking to them. In fact, they've probably wanted to go in the opposite direction. Okay? Believe me? Good. Now let me tell you how Jesus Christ was in the ER. (He is God, you know ... Father, Son, Holy Spirit ... the Trinity ... nothing weird, just Christianity).

GOD IN THE ER: I have really been suffering... beyond what 'others' told me to expect from Chemotherapy. It is day 9 and I am just now thinking I might live thru this first round. Still haven't looked at my 'port'. I swint my eyes (told you I am weak). Bone pain. No sleep. A ton of bricks on my chest. Horrible heartburn. Incredible disabling weakness. Shaky. Headache. Every flu symptom you know. Sore Throat. Head pounding. Big itchy rash around my whole neck ... hives. My neck looks like a turkey's neck today. Nails hurt. Allergic reaction to the drugs. Resurgence of my candidiasis. Sore from surgery. In bed every day, all day. Scalp is numb. The nurses saying "you still feel bad? you don't have a fever do you?". Very sad and scared. I thought the bad part would only last 3-4 days. My nurse told me to go to the ER. Ugh. More pokes. Prods. Injections. CatScan to determine if I had a blod clot (i didn't). EKG. IV to hydrate me. I cried everytime I told someone why I was there.

I was met at every turn by compassionate people. Charlotte was the nurse who inserted the deep IV to hydrate me. She saw my emotional state and said "Let me tell you a story. My mom was diagnosed with cancer years and years ago and they told her she was going to die soon. I travelled from N Carolina to see her and we got on our knees and prayed. When she went back to the doctor, he was furious because he thought someone had confused her chart. It wasn't confused ... she had been healed. She still had to go thru alot ... but she was not going to die". I said "Do you pray to Jesus Christ?" She said "Yes"... And sometimes He gives me visions, and when I look at you I can see that you'll be okay". She said "I will be praying for you". I said "If you pray to Jesus, then will you pray for me right now?" She closed the curtain around my bed .... grabbed Suzanne's hand and my hand and prayed hard for me. Someone tried to interrupt us, and she said "Not now ... in just minute". One thing I remember .... she prayed that I would have the courage of a lion. I have also been wondering if I should see a certain doctor in Medina who may be able to help me get thru this with some natural approaches to ease the symptoms. I never told anyone. But Charlotte happened to say "My mom saw a Dr. in Medina who really helped her". I said "Is it Dr. Weeks?" She said "Yes!". She gave me his address. For me it was a confirmation to give him a call. When she left, we were stunned. What in the world had just happened?

The Sr. citizen volunteer lady told me she'd pray for me. I asked ... "Do you pray to Jesus? Because it's no use praying to anyone else ... because who else had the power to bust out of the grave?". She said 'yes'.

The ER doctor came in to tell me I could either stay in the hospital or go home. He was so compassionate. The shift had just changed, so this was the first time I had met this particular doctor. He looked at me with compassionate eyes, held my hand, and told me he would pray for me. I said "Do you pray to Jesus?". He said "yes, of course" ... and my first name is Angel (he was Hispanic). He felt that his name was significant. I was simply amazed by his warmth and gentleness. He affirmed the fact that chemo is an all-out assault on the body, and that I am indeed suffering. So during our conversation I asked him .. What can I expect in the next few days. He got quiet. Looked at me quite seriously. And slowly said "I ... am expecting a miracle". We all got quiet. He appeared rather choked up. Silence. I could not believe what this doctor said to me. When he left he told me he'd be praying for me. I believed him. My bro George and his wife Suzanne were both in the room. We were simply stunned. Awed. What was going on? God met us in the ER.

I have no definitions of what happened. No nothing. I can just tell you what was said and done. I could not have manipulated one of these conversations. I know that I am loved with an everlasting love. I will go and do and be a part of and believe anything that God tells me to. For now .... I am in awe. And I'm looking .....

I went home feeling just as bad physically (except ... I slept 4 straight hours that night). But something went on in Southwest General Hospital ER that day. I will bask in it. I will let myself be encouraged by His mercy. "I will look to the hills .... where does my help come from? My help comes from The Lord ... the maker of Heaven and Earth." Psalm 121

Question of the Day for Thursday, Jan 15: "Do you pray to Jesus Christ?" :)

13 comments:

  1. Awesome Testimony,

    Matthew 18
    19"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."


    Acts 3:16
    By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.

    Ephesians 5
    19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

    21Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

    2 Thessalonians 1
    11With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. 12We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ

    Yes Diane our Lord is with you and has a great purpose for you!

    Your Brother in Christ, Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I read this blog and my jaw drops in amazement at the people that God surrounded you with in the ER and then I have to ask myself...'why are you amazed, this is God we're talking about. He's giving His daughter hope. He's letting her know He is with her through all of this.' As the song says, our God is an awesome God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already I see a woman who's allowing God to be glorified in every aspect of her pain, pain I'm personally terrified of. I say, if God is with Diane in this, He would be with me too, and especially tangible-- I think-- b/c you're sharing His clear intervention in your life with others. I pray I'd be so generous, so meek and trusting during my hours in the valley. I'm so comforted hearing about his presence, and I'm so glad for you. If I am called to suffer, let it be this way... (I'm trying to say I hope I'd have your measure of grace.) and I keep praying for your full recovery. Soon. Love you, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW--PRAISE YOU JESUS!!!NEED ANYMORE ASSURANCE??NO DOUBT THE LORD SPEAKS THRU HIS OWN..."THE PRAYERS OF THE RIGHTEOUS ARE POWERFUL AND EFFECTIVE.."JAMES 5:16..WE WILLCONTINUE TO PRAY FOR WHATEVER YOU NEED.THANK YOU FOR SINGING TODAY..I WAS BLESSED, YOU SAID YOU WERE IN NO CONDITION..BUT "YET I WILL PRAISE HIM" GOD BLESS YOU DIANE--LOVE, DOLORES

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, my dear ... i'm personally terrified of this pain also. and i love what you have written. He is faithful. thanks for blessing me, sweet kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you, dolores. my thoughts on singing are: i know His power comes thru in the midst of suffering. if i'm going down ... i want to go down singing. it is a powerful force. if i can do it, i will. i will sing into the darkness. i am still amazed that i had such a good day. ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh...the wonderful grace of God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. His glory blazes around you! Wow!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane,
    I faithfully BELIEVE that you will be healed. God the GREAT physician will perform a miracle. He is already placing HIS angels in your path as a reminder. I claimed healing for you and I know God spoke to my heart. YOU WILL BE HEALED...this doesn't mean you will not have to withstand some suffering but as we can all recall and try to understand the suffering of Jesus on our behalf. I remember well something that Becky said early on in her treatment...Mom if God cures my cancer I win and if he takes me home to heaven I win BIG! Now I know you will be healed here on earth...please see the doc in Medina...I am praying for that to happen sooner rather than later. Love and Peace to you...a peace that surpasses ALL understanding. Jesus is holding you and will NEVER let you go...For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord...plans to prosper you and not to harm you...plans to give you a hope and a future. When you call on me...I will answer when you call on me with ALL of your HEART! Love ya, MaryJo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is clear to me, too. You will be healed. Praise the Lord for His Holy Spirit, your secret weapon, with you always, and angels who constantly see the face of the Father, and Jesus who intercedes for you. So, you're covered.

    Let me know when I can bring a funny movie over and watch it with you. Or read you a story, that would be fun.
    -Fidelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. how about today? i will look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete